The purpose of this assignment is for the student to:
Demonstrate their ability to perform a comprehensive statistical research critique
Demonstrate their ability to identify key principles of statistical inference
Demonstrate their ability to document a critique in an organized and professional manner
Student will conduct a literature search and identify a recent research article from a peer-reviewed journal that addresses an area of interest to the student
Student must review chosen article with professor for approval
Assignment is to be typed and presented in APA format
Student will complete and document a comprehensive statistical research critique utilizing the general guidelines outlined below
Guidelines for Statistical Critique of Research Studies
Title of Research:
1. Identify research question(s), purpose and/or hypothesis
2. Identify variables and measurement levels
3. Identify research design experimental, quasi-experimental, non-experimental, sample
4. Identify measurement tools used and their validity and reliability
a. Does the validity information sufficiently describe the instruments validity?
b. Does the reliability information sufficiently describe the instruments reliability
5. Identify descriptive statistics used frequency distributions, central tendency, variability
a. Do these statistics sufficiently describe the major characteristics of the researchers data set?
b. Were indices of both central tendency and variability provided in the report? If not, how does the absence of this information affect the readers understanding of the research variables?
c. Were the correct descriptive statistics used (e.g., was the median used when a mean would have been more appropriate)?
6. Identify inferential statistics used parametric, nonparametric
a. Was the selected statistical test appropriate, given the level of measurement of the variables?
b. Was a parametric test used? Does it appear the assumptions for the use of parametric tests were met?
c. If a nonparametric test was used, should a more powerful parametric procedure have been used instead?
d. Was a statistical test performed for each of the hypotheses or research questions?
e. If inferential statistics were not used, should they have been?
7. In general, does the report provide a rationale for the use of the selected statistical tests? Does the report contain sufficient information for you to judge whether appropriate statistics were used?
8. Describe results and conclusions.
a. Were the results of any statistical tests significant/non-significant? What do the tests tell you about the plausibility of the research hypotheses?
b. Was there an appropriate amount of statistical information reported? Were important analyses omitted, or were unimportant analyses included?
c. Are the findings and conclusions clearly and logically organized?
d. Is the researcher sufficiently objective in reporting the results?
9. Were tables used judiciously to summarize of statistical information? Are the tables clearly presented, with good titles and carefully labeled column headings? Is the information presented in the text consistent with the information presented in the tables? Is the information in the text and tables totally redundant?
10. Discuss the assumptions, interpretation and limitations of the statistical techniques used
11. Discuss implications of the reported findings for evidence-based practice or scholarly inquiry
12. Evaluate overall researchers presentation and style of writing of the report
Student: ________________________________ Grade: ________
Assignment: Critique of Research Study Grading Criteria
_____ Identification of research question, purpose and/or hypothesis (5pts)
_____ Identification of variables and measurement levels (10 pts)
_____ Identification of research design (2 pts)
_____ Identification of measurement tools used and validity/reliability of tool (5 pts)
_____ Identification and critique of descriptive statistics (10 pts)
_____ Identification and critique of inferential statistics (10 pts)
_____ Identification and critique of rationale for use of statistical tests (10 pts)
_____ Description and critique of results and conclusions (10 pts)
_____ Description and critique of tables utilized in study (3 pts)
_____ Description of the assumptions, interpretation, and limitations of statistical techniques utilized (10 pts)
_____ Description and critique of researchers presentation and writing style (5 pts)
_____ Implications for practice or scholarly inquiry (10 pts)
_____ Overall (10 pts)
(APA, grammar/spelling, organization, preparation, clarity, synthesis of study and presentation)
Are you looking for a similar paper or any other quality academic essay? Then look no further. Our research paper writing service is what you require. Our team of experienced writers is on standby to deliver to you an original paper as per your specified instructions with zero plagiarism guaranteed. This is the perfect way you can prepare your own unique academic paper and score the grades you deserve.
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.[order_calculator]